Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Those friggin graphs are useful

My experience with hi-res content from HDTracks has been very inconsistent. Some of it is great stuff, worth paying the extra $$ for. A lot of it isn't really any better than what I already have. A lot of it is worse. I've learned my lesson. I will never impulse buy any album from HDTracks. I will always research it first. I think the same will have to be true with Pono.

Those graphs are really useful for filtering out bad remaster jobs from consideration. A track by track dynamic range analysis is welcome too, along with or in lieu of a graph. I always search to see if someone has posted a DR analysis before considering whether to buy something from HDTracks. Frequently, I will find what I'm looking for on Computer Audiophile or Steve Hoffman forums.

The spectrum plots aren't quite as valuable as the DR data, but they can be useful in flagging upsampled 44.1k material, or revealing other technical issues with the mastering job.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.