Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Esi Juli@ latency setting

I have a Juli@, but I don't normally use it much these days.

Carcass93 pretty much sums up the situation. Most people who have experimented have found that smaller buffer sizes sound better, at least up to the point where buffer underruns are happening and the sound gets broken up.

There are some measurements that show the effect of buffer sizes on noise patterns outside of a DAC, effects of digital cables on noise patterns and jitter spectra, as seen in the analog output of a DAC, etc... So this is a real phenomena. The details of exactly what happens and why it happens are only partially understood and will depend on the particular hardware and software involved, starting with the computer and including at least everything up to and including the DAC, possibly even analog equipment downstream of the DAC.

Incidentally, I don't believe the issue is latency at all, rather it's buffer size. If the number of buffers are kept fixed then there will be an inverse relationship between buffer size and latency. However, if the number of buffers is increased one can increase latency by software changes in the driver and/or player and thus it would be possible to zero in on the specific factor involved, buffer size vs. latency. The key factor appears to be the wait - busy cycle that repeats at the average buffer load rate. The situation can be more complicated because there can be multiple stages of processing in the audio pipeline and these can have different cycle times.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.