Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: PONO: What it is REALLY about

My comparisons were of DSD downsampled to 88/24 or 176/24 vs. direct capture to these PCM formats. However, it is possible that the result of converting DSD to 44/16 will be as good as direct capture. (It could even be the same if the converter was native DSD and did its own conversion to PCM.

My attitude toward 44/16 down conversions now is: Who cares? I consider 44/16 to be a compressed format and of value only for historical purposes. There is no longer any market or technical need to distribute 44/16 recordings where there is already a hi-res digital master if the audience is people who care about sound quality. It's a waste of time to tweak the 44/16 version once one already has a great sounding hi-res master, IMO.

I believe that hi-res releases of new digital recordings should be priced with a very small discount for 44/16 format off of the studio master format. However, where remastering of classic analog recordings is involved, then high prices are entirely justified to cover the cost of amortizing the remastering process, which is a skilled process, something that requires both engineering and art and is not within the grasp of a button pushing technician.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.