Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Here's an alternative to "controlled", which I'll probably do, when get around to it:

Tony, what you say about mood from one listening to another is, I think, overlooked. Music will not sound the same if you listen to it twice. On the second listening, you might might find the music boring, or, on the second listening, you might hear something that you didn't hear first time through. I do not mean that you hear a flute or something that was otherwise obscured; I mean you might suddenly understand the musical idea in a more interesting way. Or you might start thinking that such an experiment is a nerve-wracking and unpleasant idea, and you can't hear the music at all.

Some days my system sounds great; some days it doesn't. It has to do with me and my mood. It's wildly subjective, and the double-blind testing doesn't control for the subjectivity. I think the way to get around the problem is to talk about the music and not the sound.

Living in NYC and listening mostly on recordings to musicians whom I frequently hear live, I find that the thing that recordings cannot reproduce is the sense, when you listen to live music, that you will never hear it again.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.