Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ubuntu 14.10 ... is the lack of specific drivers really an issue ?I

It is my understanding that your computed does not have built in wireless but you have USB attached wireless adapter. So
Your computer either old when wireless was rarelly built in or
Your computer is low end that did not have wireless built in
Also, your USB adapter may use some proprietary driver.

First two you can not change or fix. Last is probably solvable. You have to download Linux driver for that device. You will have to connect to internet via cable, download, and install it. Sometimes manufacturer does not bother with Linux drivers, but sometimes there are generic ones that may work.

If you can not find the driver on the manufacturer's website, go to Linux forums and ask about the issue with the exact adapter model so that someone can advice you. They are pretty friendly bunch, which is just a nice way to say pretty friendly geeks :-)

I had been running one or the other version of Linux parallel to Windows over the last 10 years on on at least 5 personal computers. And I have been using on and off various versions of Unix / Xenix since late 80-s. It take little bit time sometimes to set it up. After that it is like marine diesel engines, they just keep going.

---------------------------------
Continued.
---------------------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Edits: 12/14/14 12/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.