Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: need help understanding external hard drives

Hi Abe - thanks again for the response. I have approximately 500 CDs to rip, so I am pretty sure a 1tb hard drive will be enough. If possible, I would love to use the same one to backup as for the music storage, but this is one of the things I am confused about, whether there would be enough room to do both with the same 1 tb drive?

What I have read about using a USB hard drive with a USB DAC is that there can be jitter, etc., caused by a synchronous conflict between the two devices, as they would both be in use together, resulting in significantly lower sound quality. Are you saying that this will not happen if they are on two different buses? I need to look at your previous post again; I really don't know anything about these things. Is the Thunderbolt type drive the only other option I have that will work with both my old machine and a new one? If so, then I am more inclined to try your two different buses idea, given the much greater cost of the Thunderbolt type drive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.