Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: need help understanding external hard drives

If you buy a USB 3.0 disk drive it will not conflict with your USB DAC. Yes, you can use a Thunderbolt disk drive instead but it will cost you more money vs a USB 3.0 drive.

Will you be using this drive as a backup device or for storing your ripped music, or both?

If used for backup, you're not going to be playing music while you're backing up so there is no possibility of 'conflict' with your DAC.

If used for storing your music, there will still be no 'conflict' with your DAC if you use a USB 3.0 disk because as I mentioned in my previous post, that disk will be on a USB 3.0 bus while your DAC will be on a USB 2.0 bus. But if you feel better about it, you can use a Thunderbolt drive which will cost you significantly more money.

---

An external CD/DVD drive will set you back maybe $15 - $80. I have Samsung and Lenovo branded USB CD/DVD drives. They both work perfectly fine just like my Apple branded USB CD/DVD drive. I think I paid $40 for my Samsung a few years ago.

You can certainly use your current Mac with it's internal CD/DVD for ripping then transfer the files but depending on the number of CD's you plan to rip, that's a good way to wear out your internal drive.... which can be costly to replace.... a lot more than an external USB CD/DVD drive.

You will also need to move your newly ripped content from the old Mac to the new one. Extra steps with the potential of introducing operator error.

IMHO and as I've mentioned before, you will be better off waiting to get your new Mac, get it all set up first, use an external USB CD/DVD drive, and then start ripping to it. Your choice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.