Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: need help understanding external hard drives

Hi everyone, and thanks for the responses! I am still confused on the external hard drive choices. Your responses give me the impression that this perhaps isn't a big deal, and I can choose whatever? I have read about synching issues if the external hard drive is USB, since I have the Dragonfly, which is also USB - Abe's posts imply this is not an issue. I know that the new Macs don't have Firewire, but do have Thunderbolt. Can I assume that my current Mac will support a Thunderbolt drive?

I do not have a network setup, so this is why I was told by the Apple people to use Time Machine and an external hard drive to do the transfer of files from my old machine to the new. Apparently this is a very easy thing to do. I was assuming that therefore I could rip the CDs on my current machine, and avoid buying an external DVD/CD drive for the new one. Is there some sonic reason for the recommendation for buying the extra drive and ripping on the new machine? Is the process of transferring music file from one machine to another more complicated? Thanks again for the help!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.