Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: DoP is a bad kludge

Good luck with the software updates, I hope you don't run into a "squeezing a balloon in a suitcase" situation where fixing one part of the problem pops out another part that was previously OK.

The problem you mentioned concerned robustness of the coding in the face of data errors. There really is no excuse for data errors on a USB connection, but there are still opportunities for problems, e.g. unwanted mode switches due to buffer underruns at the computer. These errors depend on the size of device driver buffers, etc... Some years ago when I was playing with DoP on my Mytek I was able to cause these problems by deliberately overloading the computer and causing buffering errors. The results seemed to depend on buffer sizes. I didn't investigate further, since I normally use ASIO and the driver allows native DSD over USB. Early versions of the Mytek driver and firmware had horrible pop problems on wanted and unwanted mode switches, but later revisions cured this. (The only pops that I get now come if I turn off the DAC without powering down my powered monitors.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DoP is a bad kludge - Tony Lauck 11:12:44 11/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.