Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: About the RAM disk solution ....

I work as follows when playing FLAC files.

1. I open the folder containing the tracks of an album.
2. I select the tracks that I wish to play. (Typically several tracks, e.g. four tracks for four movements of a symphony.)
3. I right click on the selected tracks and Dbpoweramp converter converts these to WAV and stores them in the RAM disk.
4. I open HQPlayer and tell it to pick up all the tracks in the RAM disk.
5. I click play.
6. When done I close HQPlayer.
7. I clear out the RAM disk.

It would not be practical to do the conversion prior to each track as this would change the delay between tracks and add glitches to albums that were made to be played "gapless". The downside is that long play lists (e.g. Bach's St. Matthew Passion) can exhaust the size of the RAM disk that I have set up if they are hires. If this happened often I would upgrade the RAM disk from 4 GB to 8 GB, but then I would need to add more RAM to my computer, which presently has only 12 GB of RAM.

I have no idea whether or not SSDs have become reliable. They were not. As far as I can tell micro SD cards are still unreliable -- it's been only about two months since I lost data on one that was being used to do compiles and operating system updates on a Raspberry Pi. I recently got a 120 GB SSD that I am using on an Atom based NUC as a Linux server. This will get a pretty good thrashing due to data base updates. I will be pleasantly surprised if this device makes it through a year.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: About the RAM disk solution .... - Tony Lauck 11:02:19 11/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.