Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Apple OS 10.6.8 and Metrum Hex Incompatibility

I pretty much agree with you about Audirvana Plus vs Pure Music. They sound sound good, but a little different.

I didn't like the Pure Music GUI which in the past 'wrapped' itself around iTunes on the screen. That may have changed. Additionally, unless you need all the features in PM I found there were too many window panes for various settings and the whole thing was a bit cluttered and not well thought out. Just my opinion here.

I felt that Audirvana's settings were more streamlined and better organized and I like how their player can hide behind iTunes on screen so I don't have to see it. I have not tried the latest Audirvana Plus with it's Library management feature.

Once you're ready to 'rip' your CDs be sure to set iTunes for AIFF, WAV, or Apple Lossless (ALAC) with error correction..... if you choose to use iTunes to rip your CDs. AIFF is uncompressed like WAV. Apple Lossless compression provides about a 50% savings in disk space with no loss in audio quality. It is very similar to FLAC. Keep in mind that iTunes does not directly support FLAC so if that's a format you'll want long term, you might look into other players like JRiver Media Center for Mac.

Some folks also prefer XLD for 'ripping' their CDs instead of iTunes.

iTunes Preferences > General Tab > Import Settings

You can also digitize your vinyl using a AD converter like the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter which is a phono preamp / AD converter combo, or something less expensive like the HRT Linestreamer that works with your existing phono preamp. You'll also need software. I used Audacity which is free. However, there are specialized software packages that make the process a bit easier.

As for streaming services, I've played with Pandora, iTunes Radio, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime Music, and Spotify. For use at home I like Spotify best. Amazon Prime Music and Pandora integrates very well with my car navigation / infotainment system. I havent' played with TIDAL yet. Spotify sounds pretty good but it's still a relatively low bit-rate service compared to listening to my own CDs or CDs 'ripped' to my music server.

Edits: 11/21/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Apple OS 10.6.8 and Metrum Hex Incompatibility - AbeCollins 08:11:49 11/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.