Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ubuntu Studio--)Jack Audio--)DAC--)Bliss

I've never used Mac gear but have used Win 7 based systems and other versions of Linux. I've also used Audiophile Linux, but they' have transitioned from using Linux Mint as a base to using Arch Linux as a base, They lost me with that move. However, I think to my ears Ubuntu Studio is the best of the bunch.

I find Ubuntu Studio easier to set up than Windows. That comes with a small caveat: be sure your PC's / laptop's hardware and any peripherals are Linux friendly. Most are these days, but there are some exceptions so it's worth mentioning. My HP laptop was mostly plug and play with Linux. Some familiarity with Linux helps, but Ubuntu is widely supported and information isn't hard to find.

I use a USB DAC for playback: an Antelope Zodiac. It's connected to the laptop's USB output and has a well-implemented USB input. It was plug and play with Linux (they have an ASIO driver for Windows that the user must download).

A GUI program like "qjackctrl" can be user to adjust Jack's set up parameters. It comes pre-installed in Ubuntu Studio. This of this like setting up the output parameters in J River or Foobar, where you select your USB DAC as the output device.

Edits: 11/20/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ubuntu Studio--)Jack Audio--)DAC--)Bliss - Whell 04:08:14 11/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.