Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: To NAS or not to NAS

Thanks for the replies so far-- keep 'em coming!

I actually have the big Asus router linked above - and am very happy with it.

As for the rest of this, bit more background may help. I rip cds on my main PC, then copy them to a sata drive in a Baclx cradle. I then take that drive to my cmp/cplay computer, and "cradle" it. I then have to copy those files to the cmp internal drive, and create cue files for the new folders.... Then the old cmp cradled drive moves over to the main pc's cradle, and gets updated. So, 3 copies so far.

I have a 2TB bus powered WD USB 3.0 drive hanging off the USB3.0 port on my router as a backup as well. I keep my movies on a 2TB sata drive in my main pc, using serviio server software to feed the mkv files to my 2 Sony Streamer boxes (It was a nightmare finding a combo of hardware and software that would actually communicate with the Sony Boxes...... I keep a backup of the movie by using the main pc's Black cradle.

I have several portsable music players, and I enjoy flac files on them - but sometimes go back and fuss with file ytags, depending on the way the pmps behave with my files....

So, multiple drives, multiple copies, several shares, Sonos Bluesound, Twonky, JRiver and Serviio all running ....

Calgon, take me away!!!!!!!

Seems like centraliing all of this and keeping it backed up makes more sense...., but do I need entry-level, engterprise-level, or something in between?

Edits: 11/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.