Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: To NAS or not to NAS

I can't help much on the tech specs but I've been contemplating your scenario of "home network architecture" and there is one "thing" that is driving my conclusion... and that is- if you use the NAS as the "main source", you still have to back up the NAS.

So, I'm thinking that the NAS has to be utilized as the back up. Each computer would have its own attached external HD. For ex.: The business computer would have it's own external HD to back up what's on that computer HD and just be additional storage for that particular computer. The "AV" computer would have it's own external HD w all the movies, kids games and pictures. The "stereo computer" HD's would have all the music.

The NAS would back up all those HD's and make all those files accessible by all the other computers in the network including remotely when traveling etc...

Ideally you should have another back up off site but Jeeesh...! Thats about 20tb of storage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.