Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Makes little sense to use a Tablet as primary music source at home...

> So I have to get up and walk over to the Tablet in order to
> see and make my next selection?

Do you remember Vinyl and CD?

Yes, and that is why I setup a music server with a wireless Tablet as a fully visual untethered remote. If I wanted to walk over to the device in order to see what I'm doing and to change a song, I would have stuck with my vinyl or CD. :-)

The point is there is another good platform coming up. One that High-Rez and USB Audio out of the Box.

Sure, but again its not practical as a primary digital source for the home IMHO.

From your original post:
Soon no-one will need an old-fashioned computer or a computer masquerading as "streamer". Take a Tablet, Phone etc. Any way of remote control, add a USB DAC or even a USB input equipped All In One system and press play.

Fun toy to tinker with for sure but I don't think you've eliminated the need for a computer or other more practical solution for most folks.

If you recall in the early days, the big deal was to set a 160GB iPod in a dock and call it a day. Some docks even supported digital out to drive an external DAC. It was fun for about a month then all those Wadia docks went up for sale on Audiogon. A more practical solution was needed.

The Tablet in a dock concept isn't that different. Once the fun factor wears off most will be seeking a better solution. Others have already set up music servers and 'streamers'. Just my 2-cents worth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.