Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Makes little sense to use a Tablet as primary music source at home...

Subject line says it all IMHO, and I've commented on the idea in the past. To summarize....

While it's certainly 'cool' that some tablets support 'hi-res' playback via USB to an outboard DAC, I find the whole concept of using a Tablet as a primary source for digital playback in the home rather weird.

What is the advantage, really?

I envision several disadvantages:

- A Tablet propped up in my audio rack with a bunch of cables hanging out of it attached to power, a DAC, with a pile of SD memory cards nearby.

So the Tablet plays 'hi-res' files but we all know that these files can get rather HUGE. I no longer keep a pile of CDs in the listening room. Why would I want to manage a pile of SD memory cards? I believe the Sony supports 128GB SD max, which is typical of many Tablets.

- Storage capacity aside, I can't see the Tablet screen from across the room where I sit and listen to music. So I have to get up and walk over to the Tablet in order to see and make my next selection? Oh, I don't see it. It must be on one of these SD cards that fell on the floor.

So the Sony has a remote but you can't see what you're doing anyway because the Tablet is across the room.

I'd rather have the Tablet (iPad in my case) at my side untethered to the main audio setup. I use it as a fully visual remote control to manage as much music as I want on the music server, on terabytes of storage if necessary. Oh, and if I turn ON the big screen TV I can also bring up any movie or music video I want via the untethered Tablet.

The Tablet makes for a great Remote Control IMHO but is too limiting as a primary digital music source in the home.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.