Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

EQ/Room Correction with Apple AU Parametric EQ

I have been trying some new gear lately and things sounded quite good, and very close to what I was hoping for, but not quite there. I began thinking, "if only..."

After doing a little research, I found my digital player, Pure Music, allows the use of plug-ins, comes loaded with a variety of EQ plug-in products by Apple, and also has the ability to utilize other EQ plug-ins such as The Dirac Live Room Correction Suiteā„¢ that is included in one of the player packages offered by the folks at Sonic Studio Amarra.

In short, after reading multiple on-line articles and tutorials on equalization, I successfully applied Apple's AU Parametric EQ (parametric equalizer) to provide about 10 bands of adjustment that both corrected minor room/gear/speaker low frequency issues and also adjusted the overall sound of my system to suit my listening preferences. I was able to accomplish this by applying relatively low amplitude cuts of 2dB or less, over wide frequency ranges of slightly more than one octave, by selecting a Q of 1.0, and I can discern no sonic penalties whatsoever from using the EQ plug-ins.

Not sure if this stuff is a well-kept secret, or if I am just late to the party, but I can see how this type of room correction and EQ could provide a greater level of satisfaction in how a system sounds and also reduce the need for cable rolling or gear changing to achieve a certain sonic signature. At a minimum, the ability to correct room related issues, particularly in the bass, seems worthwhile.

I suspect the application of correction is more accurate when using omni directional microphones and programs designed to provide correction based on multiple readings from frequency sweeps, as done by the Dirac products, the ARC System 2 by IK Multimedia, and others. I also suspect there are products that may perform better in some ways than the Apple EQ, such as FabFilter Pro-Q, but for now I am pleased with my initial progress.

Any observations or recommendations from others who have gone further down this road than me?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - EQ/Room Correction with Apple AU Parametric EQ - mitch2 13:09:10 11/09/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.