Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Not for me, either.....

While 5GHz offers higher bandwidth and potentially less channel interference, that is only good if you're within range with few obstructions.

At my home 5GHz is marginal becoming unreliable around the periphery like the backyard, front porch, front bedroom. I use mostly 2.4GHz for our portable devices and hardwired Ethernet for the music server, AppleTV streaming boxes, and my work computer. YMMV depending on your home and wifi router and its location so each individual's experience may differ.

If you live in a high density neighborhood with lots of families using 2.4GHz channels, you may get better results on 5GHz. In our area we have several available 2.4GHz channels that don't appear to be in use.

Stereo "CD Quality" audio requires just under 1.5Mbs, hi-res 24/96 requires under 5Mbps, and hi-res 24/192 just under 10Mbs. All modern wifi routers are capable of even higher speeds. So our wifi routers and internet speeds (for most folks) are not the limiting factors for high resolution music streaming.

Streaming video requires even more bandwidth and most homes have plenty. Witness Netflix, Amazon Video on Demand, AppleTV, Hulu, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.

It's the lack of 'hi-res' music streaming services, not the networking infrastructure to the home or within most homes..... unless you live in the sticks with poor internet options.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.