Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Schiit Decrapifier - the poor man's reclocker?

If so I am amazed this would make any difference at all.

I knew my heading would get somebody going . . .

The device is not just a PS, it's a one-port USB hub. My understanding is that USB hubs reclock by definition; the clock for the Schiit's output port is reportedly better than most. Given the quality of most USB circuits (inc hubs), that's not necessarily saying much but it seems to be enough to make a difference here. (As I'm using the device to drive an asynch USB-to-I2S converter, the USB clock should, in theory, not matter but, as we all know, it does.)

SoTM and others sell similar "re-clocking" devices though they're typically PCI/PCIe>USB cards at (in SoTM's case) four times the price. They have been well reviewed; fmak has reported favourably on the SoTM.

Looks like the garden variety three pin regulator implementation . . .

Those who know what they're about can implement three-pin regulators really rather well despite their modest cost. I've not seen a schematic or specs for this circuit so can't meaningfully comment on it - but, for the same reason, neither can anyone else.

I bought it for my "back room" system, not the "front room" one as I didn't expect it to have much effect on the latter. To my chagrin, it did. The bad news is that I'll probably end up buying two of the damn things, ordering the second one three days before Schiit release the simply magnificent Mk II version for £5 less.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.