Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Squeezebox Evil Plan Fails--need help!,

I am a total nube on this digital stuff, and although I have been on the asylum for quite a long time, I think this is my first post in the Digital Forum..

Here is my situation:

I launched an evil plan to set up a network hard drive that will store all of my CDs and what ever digital music comes along. I set up a Logitech Squeezebox server and a Logitech network receiver to stream the music to my system. The receiver is running an optical out to my PSB Dlink DAC. This is the same DAC I use on my CD player.

I figured I would copy my CDs to the drive using iTunes Apple lossless and I would have ultimate CD quality sound and loads of storage. I copied a CD that I am super familliar with and tested it.. Success?

No! It ends up sounding like complete crap, it sounds jittery, dull, slightly distorted, and lack of bass and dynamics..it sounds compressed, or something is wrong. I put the CD back in just to be sure... It is like night and day.

I am not sure what the culprit is... Or if it is everything, is anyone trying a similar set up? Maybe my ambition to have uncompressed, uncompromised CD quality sound is misguided? Bad plan?

Any help appreciated

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Squeezebox Evil Plan Fails--need help!, - mr9iron 22:18:53 09/19/14 (27)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.