Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Think you guys are right

I didn't expect the BDP-103 to be satisfactory as a standalone player, but I hoped it would be fine as a hi-res transport.

My main intention was to use it in my living room music/HT system hooked into a Marantz 8801 pre/pro via HDMI. Given that the Marantz isn't really high end, I didn't expect to be blown away, but I hoped that SACD playback via Oppo -> HDMI -> Marantz would be better than CD playback via Majik DS -> analog -> Marantz and it isn't. In fact it's the opposite. The Majik DS playing redbook with the Marantz in Pure Direct mode blows away SACD from the Oppo using either HDMI or analog out from the Oppo. I've made the comparisons using hybrid SACDs that have an equivalently mastered CD layer. I was similarly disappointed when I tried the Oppo in my other system.

I'm not sure where to go next, but I'm thinking maybe get an old PS3 and rip my SACDs.

I regret selling my APL modded SACD 1000. As you should know, that was probably not a great idea.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Think you guys are right - Dave_K 07:24:54 10/29/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.