Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

96 vs 192 khz

OK:

I seriously would NOT worry about the difference between 96 and 192k, there is almost no chance that you can hear the difference between the two at this stage.

OTOH there MAY be something to be gained (all other things being equal) by using a USB to SPDIF converter, if only because, like I said, coax right out of a PC/sound card may not give the best results (and I'm talking about perceptible differences...I've had a coax out of a HPackard PC once and it was just NOISY.).

Then again, whether this will be any better than the straight USB connection into the Marantz is, in your case, very questionable, because it sounds like your problem is the multiple USB slots necessary to get your songs to the DAC.

PC audio is in my opinion a huge can of worms, because most PCs are not built to prioritize audio only (they're there to surf the internet, etc.)

If I were to start from the beginning, I would probably just buy a Mac mini laptop setup with an optical out, and just not expect to put ALL of the music there. Just the stuff you like.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • 96 vs 192 khz - Tom Schuman 02:31:30 10/25/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.