Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Inferior sound from USB external drive?

Thanks for your advice. I am sure that you must be right about building one's own but as you point out - "If you are able". I'm more kind of useless :-). In fact I read this forum and so much of it flies over my head that its a danger to low flying aircraft.

I am dipping my toe after a Proms season of enjoying the Radio 3 HD streams. I also recognise that the silver disc is on its way and that I will have to grapple with some kind of digital file audio sooner or later.

I have l looked at a lot of player software and am put off by the poor metadata capabilities to suit Western classical music. In the end I have found something called Sonata Server which is a mash up of J River and dbpoweramp with an overlay to cope with classical music metadata. So my needs are to run that. Output is to an asynchronous DAC which can handle most common PCM and DSD file formats.

Any further thoughts? I understand that the Sonata software runs best with a touch screen.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.