Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You don't use listen tests to determine data errors

My comments about the lack of bit errors on CD playback are based on years of experience with hundreds of disks, a small fraction of which gave problems. This caused me to seek out and obtain the necessary tools to understand what was going on. This is not a theoretical issue, or a question of "should".

CD players are not getting bit errors on playback on undamaged disks unless the players are broken. A cheap transport may sound worse than an expensive one, but it is extremely unlikely that the cause is bit errors. If you want to verify this for yourself, just take the two CD transports under test and feed their SPDIF output into an SPDIF input of a computer sound card and capture WAV files of the two outputs. You can then use an audio editor to difference the two files and count the errors, if any. Once you've identified their location(s) you can then play clips and see what the errors sound like.

Unless you have actually studied the presence or absence of bit errors as I have, you have no basis for positing a technical cause for sonic defects that you may have heard.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.