Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: LMS on a Diskstation

Rather than quote your message, I'll just answer here:

LMS stands for Logitech Media Server which is the server software that streams to Squeezeboxes or Transporters via wired or wireless internet. Since Squeezeboxes cannot handle a sampling rate above 48khz, the server side software samples downward by taking every second or fourth sample to get to either 44.1k or 48, This downsampling is what seemed to be too much for my diskstation implementation.

LMS and the newer (non-Logitech) Squeesboxserver are available for Windows (XP,Vista,7,8), Mac, or Linux. They only work with rendering devices like
Squeezeboxes or Transporters, but things have opened up for the brave with an opensource package for computers serving as renderers. This is named Squeezelite, and has proven successful for a lot of people. It is not for those uncomfortable with digging a bit deeper into their computer's OS. It is a natural for a Linux user.

Your setup using the NAS as a fileserver only with the player/server/rendering software on other devices seems best to me and is how I plan to use mine going forward.

I have not tried Audio Station or Minim Server, another streaming package that I have heard works well on a Diskstation.

Skip

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.