Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Inferior sound from USB external drive?

Funny you posted this, I was going to ask a similar question here (re external USB drives possibly degrading SQ ?) but for a completely different type of infrastructure.

I am typing now on my oldest regularly-used PC, an '02/03 Dell XP box. I keep it in service because it has been flawless since new, and XP suits my taste for tinkering and is stable. I like Win7 on my other PCs and Win10 looks like it may be to my taste too.

Dell boxes typically make you jump through massive and time-consuming but not technically difficult hoops for anything that takes them away from their as-shipped config. Software is even worse re that than H/W is. IME.

My box has 2 SATA ports hidden away and totally unidentified in any Dell documentation I received. I recall noticing on the web that many of these old Dell XP box owners had no idea they had SATA ports, but most from ~'02 onwards do. Buried under cables probably. SATA I only, but the drives don't care, still 2-3 times faster than IDE in the same box typically (and many times faster than USB, even much more than the spec ratings would suggest).

You may need to update the BIOS (flashed in DOS IIRC) to use SATA drives properly if you have the ports. They are correct that 2TB will probably be your limit regardless.

I also recently bought some IDE<->SATA adapters that you can either plug into the back of the drives or into the IDE cable connector on the Mobo, depending which way you're going. Haven't needed or even tried them yet. They are supposedly good for at least 2TB drives, my/our limit anyway. I got them to convert a DVD writer to IDE so I could free up a mobo SATA port. Also got one of those USB->IDE/SATA adapters JIC the box fails or for playing around with with spare drives. Makes a raw drive into an (ugly) USB backup drive.

Still don't know about the SQ affect, but more (especially external, like for USB) adapters and cables and crap *can't* help with SQ, can they? That would be my guess...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Inferior sound from USB external drive? - cfraser 14:30:07 10/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.