Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Me, too

I came over to computer audio starting around 2002 via Headfi and modified iPods that output digital to a portable dac and amp to increasingly high quality headphones and earphones. Both the appeal of portable music and my wife's complaints about being unable to escape my loud music in our open architecture house motivated the use of headphones. This is turn started me ripping my cds and vinyls and downloading to load the iPod.

A few years later when the special charm of music playing as if inside my head waned some, I found this forum along with getting better speakers. My digital collection was mushrooming, and I started using Foobar2000 to organize it all. Then I discovered cMP and worked out a version on a Lenovo laptop which came with a firewire output I used to connect to a Weiss DAC2. I played the files from a NAS via ethernet.

There is just no other way I would be as into listening so much to all kinds of music at such a high level of audio quality. I remember the days of flipping records every 25min and cds every 50min or so. You just could only take so much of that at a time. There was no practical way to get, organize, find and play so many albums conveniently before using a computer.

In the last year I have converted to using a dedicated CAPS server with linear ps connected to a Weiss dac202. I run MS Server 2012 and J River on it modified with Audiophile Optimizer in core mode. This setup I find to be the best balance of quality and convenience. I operate it via iPad with JPlay or MS Remote Desktop. I stopped short of usng a pc and separate headless server. This is likely a bit purer but also more trouble to set up and use.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Me, too - riboge 11:34:18 10/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.