Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

my conclusions are what they are, you are not showing any contrary evidence

Hi,

> As a manufacturer, - you should be held to a higher standard.

Why. I am calling them as I see them, hear them, without any other agenda.

I don't even have a dog in this race, all my products work equally well with any number of sources, general purpose Computers as well as streamers.

If you have solid evidence that shows that the points I make are incorrect I will be the first to stand corrected and you know that.

However, what I am reading are not rational well reasoned arguments that provide evidence that how I see and hear things happens to be wrong, but invective and claims I cannot know what I am writing, cannot hear, am ignorant etc.

All these are not arguments that cut the mustard, even if they were true (which they incidentally are not), as they are off topic.

> 1. With an off-the-shelf computer, - the consumer greatly
> modifies it to the point where it is no longer a multi-purpose
> device.

It depends.

I must say I am impressed with the results I am getting streaming audio via a 5GHz network from my AV machine acting as server via our new Router and a 399 USD Smartphone (Phone and Bluetooth turned off, all un-needed tasks killed).

And that is absolutely unmodified (you cannot modify it, it cannot be opened except with special gear, as it water and dustproof to IP58), not even the OS is modified. While I use a different App than the bundled one for HD, I am also surprised how decent the buid in Walkman App sounds, playing from network and SD-Card.

I also often enough use laptops/notebooks that are completely unmodified and only use a specific dual boot setup so they have an "Audio Only" software setup.

So there is no physical modification needed.

Software modification, maybe.

> 2. With one of the 4 streamers under discussion, - the high end
> audio manufacturer starts from a single purpose, & either has built
> custom for her/him, a mainboard, or uses a "stripped down" single
> purpose mainboard and adds the other components that make up the
> device. (Often, it is difficult or impossible to use the mainboard
> for any OTHER PURPOSE).

If I use a generic CPU (with build in Video and other subsystems), generic RAM, generic Flash Memory, generic network and USB Chips and I am running a generic OS, tweaked a little for Audio, how is this different from a generic computer runing a customised OS?

I mean other than the packaging?

If the packaging matters to you, or you cannot bebothered to deal with the software, don't get a computer.

Worse, if I use this generic Platform and I then do not even implement a tiny fraction of the measures that can be readily applied to generic PC Platforms, how does it make it "better" then a tricked out PC?

Of course, we would have to listen.

My listening so far, using my own DAC designs, in my own system and at shows/shop's has not produced any ADVANTAGE for any supposedly purpose build streamer, over the computers I use. They are usually no worse either.

> Wouldn't it be easier to comment from a basis of knowledge?

It is better, which is why I generally do it that way.

> The folks at Meitner, APL, ESOTERIC, Zanden, and Berkeley Design
> are all very, very, familiar with each other's work.

And?

What under g*d's wide and open sky has that to do with the price of tea in China or Generic Computer vs. Generic Computer repackaged as Streamer vs. other options (e.g. SD Card/Flash memory players)?

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.