Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Call me psychic, but... I had a vision that someone would react like you did.

The reason why it's important (from my opinion/viewpoint) is that it goes into a designer's mindset and philosophical approach.

What we have is largely a DIYer, (and some audio designers) who are taking a multipurpose consumer product designed to do many things, other than high end audio: (in some cases, the ANTITHESIS) of high end audio. They VIOLATE its multi-functional purpose(s), and turn it into something that it is not, and not designed for: an audio playback device.

On the other side, we have high end audio manufacturers, who work on the basis of experience, who are experts at designing high-end music playback equipment and start with that foundation and either make, or have custom mainboards made and utilized for one purpose, and one goal.

Their goal is not to take a general, multipurpose computer, and find a cheap way to get "decent" sound and hack something that is at its core a poor device for "good sound:" but to work from the perspective of high end audio, and utilize designs, (and if there are off-the-shelf) components, they are customized, changed, or partially utilized on the basis of the principles of maximizing superior playback performance: which largely, haven't changed all that much.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.