Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Call me psychic, but... I had a vision that someone would react like you did.

Hi,

> These nonsense posts, that claim that XYX..(Fill in the
> Blank..tablet, laptop, DIY solution) are just as good, no wait,
> better than a particular streamer, which by the way, in every
> case, the poster has NEVER HEARD, are tiresome.

The debate under this topic happens to be a GENERAL talk about Streamers vs. Computers, rather than a debate of Streamer X from Company Y vs. the rest of the world.

> I find it pretty shameless a when a manufacturer riducles
> a competitors product on a forum..if one is going to do that,
> have the guts to name it.

As a mtter of policy, I do not name them.

> "An Android Phone in a fancy shell" indeed...yeh right.

Right indeed.

It uses a standard Mobile Phone CPU, memory is generic anyway. Power/Battery Management is the same items you find in smartphones.

The touchscreen is arguably an item that you would not find on any mobile phone these days, it is way too low spec (QVGA single touch at that - what a joke, we had these on Windows Phones 10 years ago).

The whole Wifi/Bluetooth section is part of the Baseband GMS radio Chip, so this again is a cellphone item, just the GMS radio is disabled in the firmware.

The software is an old Andriod version, mostly crippled to remove functionality.

They did bodge on a DAC section that is not cellphone based, though the objective performance is worse than that you find with the iPhone 6 (based on what that guy measured) and barely matching the older iPhone.

And the iPhone 6+ with maxed out Flash and HF Player costs less. I cannot believe I am recommending an apple product, but in this case it sure is a smarter buy.

> To get back to the original topic..WHO CARES if a streamer/file
> player/server is a computer or not????

Clearly those people who routinely try to pretend that they are not computers and that they are somehow "better" than a general purpose Computer plus a good externals DAC.

> This is time and again thrown out there by the same bunch of
> posters to constantly change the topic, and to shift the focus
> of the facts...that is that purpose built audio components
> consistently out perform "optimized" computers with with USB
> DACs, and ridiculous, expensive add on tweaks like voodoo peace
> bases, absurd power supply configurations, and magic software.

Hmmm. This is not my experience.

So far the various streamers that came my way were, on their analogue outputs, no match for an equal amount spend on a computer connectable DAC, combined with last years discarded laptop and decent software.

In fact most streamers have analogue line outs that remind me a lot of computers on board sound. There ARE some notable exceptions, but not many. So most streamers end up driving DAC and causing the same problems as any general purpose computer.

> "Streamer/Server/File player XYZ is just a computer in a nice case"
> is so stale at this point.

Well, if it happens to be true, where is the problem?

BTW, no-one stops you putting a general purpose, commodity parts based computer into a nice case as well. I did.

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Call me psychic, but... I had a vision that someone would react like you did. - Thorsten 22:37:16 10/13/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.