Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: laptop/DAC question

See if you can find a dealer that'll hook your laptop to a DAC up in their shop. Maybe they will let you try one in your own system if you are serious, or maybe they might just let you try one if they like you (either way they could ask you for a CC number before they give you a loaner). Or buy from an internet retailer that offers a 30 day return.

I'm not sure why the USB on your computer wouldn't work well* (others may know why) but if you find it to be the case there may be an audio plug in card compatible with your laptop that'll correct the problem. Maybe not. That's some research for you to do - unless someone around here has first hand experience to guide you.

I built a desktop and the motherboard I selected had a RealTek audio system built on board. Connecting the digital out (not USB) via a 30 ft. cable to a Cambridge Audio DACmagic ($300) quality digital downloads sound as good as a quality LP or CD.

It's at least a starting point.

*ie. be much better than the analog output.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: laptop/DAC question - Goober58 19:04:36 10/13/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.