Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Is it or isn't it a computer???

Hi,

Simple. My own "AV Computer" includes 9TB on board Hard drives, a moderatly powerful CPU, 8GB of RAM memory and runs a modified general purpose operating system and is powered by many switched mode power suplies, even should I fit a fully linear ATX Power supply. It also has an on board touchscreen and looks like a HiFi Component. It is readily controlled with a "set top box" style IRremote handset, but I can use more complex and expensive devices (Pads, Phablets, Phones or Coputers).

It is a computer. No two ways about it. And I call it a computer.

Any given streamer (solution I know) includes or has options for internal or external harddrives, includes RAM memory and runs a general purpose operating system and is powered by many switched mode power suplies, even should I fit a fully linear external DC Power supply. Some have an on board touchscreen and look like a smart HiFi Components. Others are ugly and best hidden away, plus you need an iPhone or iPad tooperate them.

It is a computer. No two ways about it. And I call it a computer.

THe key difference is that one device uses off the shelf mainstream hardware, while "streamers often charge a lot more for using substandard and obsolete hardware in an effort to minimise manufacturing cost.

Bottom line. Streamers are "camouflaged" and "way below average performance" computers.

On a 5G WiFi Network my Sony Phablet (Xperia Z Ultra) using suitable software and a decent supported USB DAC plays DSD256 and PCM352.8 Wireless. And runs rings around any streamer for usability, thanks to 6.5"touchscreen.

And I can use it for other jobs (making calls, playing games, reading books, e-mail etc.) when I don't use it to stream music.

Of course it also is a computer, even if it is marketed as cellphone.

I recently tested a "high end" portable audio player. It also was basically an Android Phone in a fancy shell, with a so-so dac.

Ciao T

PS, nowadays pretty much any DVD/Blueray player is a computer running a customised general purpose operating system etc. and most so-called CD-Players are based on such devices, so they are computers too.
Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.