Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

So is my CD player, refergerator, phone, and Hue lightbulb

Just because it happens to have a PCI slot does not change the intention or goal of a multi-faceted, computing machine.

Before it's a computer, it would have to have a GUI, video port, have the capability of loading an OS that is capable of adding & running at least several apps, : including typical internet browsers, Email, word processing etc. it needs HIDs like mice & keyboards, add-on peripheral capability- and on and on....

Is a Squeezebox a computer? No one thinks of that in the same sense that we think of a MAC Mini, or a Dell Optiplex.

That goal, intention, and expectation of what a streamer does is to ONLY play back music, - just like a Squeezebox. The hardware is different on the Sim Audio Mind, but its purpose is the same as a Squeezebox.

JMAC is wrongly trying to assert that when you buy a Sim Audio Mind, - you're buying a mainboard/motherboard that is a computer mainboard. It is not, and it is not the only criteria for DEFINING it to the exclusion of all others. There are elements that ARE similar, but they are mostly different, - both with the mainboard and other components. These devices can only be used for 1 purpose, and only share 1 of the many purposes that we think of when we talk about a computer.

And what about the Sonore? Do we have to call it a computer? It has a custom designed mainboard, that has no PCI slot, (and even fewer of components on the mainboard).

I didn't even mention the other important elements of good SQ, like power supply, SPDIF outs, quality alloy connectors, (in some cases, point-to-point wiring), that are decidedly not a part of the commercial computer paradigm, that are essential to good SQ.

The definition of computer is NOT a PCI slot.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.