Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Nope........

Thanks for relating your experiences and info....

I have an APL Universal player with 10 asynchronous DACs per channel and no master clock. So, - I guess I have 20 DACs.

I have a digital, SPDIF coax input on the above. This leaves me in (perhaps) a somewhat unique position of having the exact same DAC to compare CDs with (whatever) comes in through the SPDIF input. (I guess it's possible that the SPDIF input USB IF, & SPDIF cable could be somehow less than for the Mac Mini, and for the Squeezebox, - just the cable.

Differences are heard between redbook CDs, & the MacMini playing AIFF files. (There of course is debate on whether or not differences can be heard between compressed FLAC and AppleLossless vs WAV and AIFF).

In any case, yes, - we consistently hear (negative) differences (again slight) ranked from CDs, MacMini, Squeezebox. Most notably, the bass is a bit deeper, less smooth sounding, and lingers longer with the Mini & more-so with the Squeezebox. The differences are not dramatic, - but are noticeable.

I don't play with Spotify because of their connection to Facebook. I am not sure if I've streamed 320kps live streaming before.

Reviewers have claimed that the Sim Audio Mind sounds better than the Squeezebox, but (from what I've read), it was unclear if they were using an upgraded PSU for the SBT. Also, - Sprezza has the Mind, SBT, and Bryston transports.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nope........ - Sordidman 16:06:54 10/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.