Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

"future ---future possibilities for streaming services"

The model right now is still buying a physical product, dumping it to digital file, - (and possessing those as another collection on an internal hard drive, or NAS drive/server).

As $50K music servers are only starting to be discovered to be inconvenient by the traditional/old school audiophile, folks like you and I are starting to see how ridiculous they are compared to the humble Squeezebox and it's myriad of wonderful swiss-army-knife features.

The Bryston, Mind, and Sonore were the first of these boxes to realize that there should be something in between the squeezebox and a $50K music server. They are working it all out.

The Sonore people are taking the position of more purity, and they're philosophy is to eschew Internet Radio (and I mean IR and Internet Apps) as it is low quality.

From my perspective, - I don't think that it really belongs in my high end rig and I agree. However, - I enjoy it so much, and it would be super convenient to use a comparative illustration to friends: and also for those friends who don't care bugger-all about high=end gear and want me to go out on the Internets and find a song that they're talking about.

Again, - I am likely 95% on your same page as far as the Squeezebox is concerned. (In my opinion), my main rig is mostly for playing SACDs and CD level quality: it's a big step up from the bedroom & kitchen. So, - I have SQ expectations, and want a different experience from it, that the Squeezebox is just inadequate for. If the Sonore ends up being a significant step up from the Bryston or others, - in playing files from the NAS, - I'm going to go with it, regardless of whether or not it can play lo rez streaming from Pandora/Spotify/Soundcloud....

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.