Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: New streamer from Accustic Arts

I have been streaming Spotify and similar services to most network audio players that support DLNA and/or Airplay using the following methods:
- Run the Spotify app on your iPhone or iPad and stream via AirPlay
- Stream from Mac OS X via Airplay
- Stream from Windows via DLNA using a virtual soundcard like Jamcast or Linn Songcast (for Linn devices)

On Android, I know there are multiple DLNA, Airplay, Chromecast streaming apps available and DLNA support is usually built-in with most devices. I have not looked into all the options for streaming Spotify and other services from an Android devices.

Most network audio players cannot connect to Spotify directly by itself. I think one of the obstacles is that Spotify's Linux client is unsupported. Spotify made an unofficial Linux version available 4 years ago and has continued to release updates for it, but even after all that time it's still just a "preview" and is unsupported. Another obstacle is that Spotify is trying to push their own Spotify Connect protocol.

But with good DLNA and AirPlay support you don't really need the network player itself to support every service internally.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.