Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How can an external mains filter-But-Well

"I prefer an isolation transformer with measured and stated isolation spectrum than a $2000 filter full of MO components, capacitors and whatnots without any form of performance information."

Agreed. My point, albeit perhaps a weak one, is that rectifiers are a decidedly non-linear element (unless blown...).

"Performance information" is exactly the very thing we need more of, much more. It is a travesty, but an understandable one that so many audiophiles have come to regard specifications as taradiddle. Rather than gripe about folks who DO measure things for us, like JA, we should encourage them to branch out and measure more parameters.

It really matters not that the "audio industry" eschews thinking out-of-band, nobody ELSE does so there is ample gear and expertise available to adequately quantify emissions and susceptibility. On a relative basis it's DIY-able and there are plenty of standards and Labs that can do it more methodically and quantitively for a price.

I know that this is less of a concern for you sophisticated old-Worlders since CE does a better job of controlling emissions than the the FCC. Here in the Wild-West it's mostly caveat emptor...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.