Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Difference is when you go with Apple you are stuck with Apple

I had several other paths to follow but I went with the Apple proprietary path because I thought it would be the most stable.

Well, it was probably the most stable choice for a number of years and your decision at that time was the right one. The Classic had a good 13 year run! What other player lasted that long in the market? What other viable choice did you truly have at that time, that would have had the features and capacity you required? MS Zune? Creative Labs? Archos Jukebox? Sony? iRiver, Cowan, etc? Did any of these have a 13 year record of success?

With the iPod Classic being discontinued it's the end of the road. When my iPod hangs it up my systems are dead - it's not like any other device can fill the void.

While you cannot get a 500GB iPod Classic because they don't exist, you might consider buying another new 160GB unit while they're still available from various retailers. You'll get several more years of the status que w/o being forced to make a change. Or bite the bullet and take another path.

The iPod pretty much killed off other portable players except for a few niche players. Would you bet your future on the new Pono Player? In fact, portable players including the iPod are a dying breed as most folks (not necessarily audiophiles) keep their music on their smartphones and those who don't, just stream the music from a service.

Which FiiO are you considering, X5 X3?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Difference is when you go with Apple you are stuck with Apple - AbeCollins 11:27:00 09/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.