Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Food for thought

Sorris:

"I get what's being said, and think it sounds perfectly sane"

No, if you got what was being said you would not think it sounds perfectly sane.

"I get what's being said, and think it sounds perfectly sane when applying it to a constant tone, but not with music. As far as I can tell, there is no physical way that 48,000 images of a thing can give you a picture as complete or accurate as 3,000,000 when that thing is changing at an infinitesimal level, constantly. Details will be missed."

You think this because you have no understanding of how digital audio works. Perhaps this will help.

Way back when, people wanted to record analog events around them (people speaking, or making music}. They only had analog tools so they used them. These analog tools created a one-dimensional analog wave form that people could fiddle with and send over the air, or impress onto vinyl, or use to magnetize iron paritcles glued onto tape. It didn't really matter. Those formats were all used to create analog waveforms that were then amplified by amplifiers and used to drive speakers.

The crucial point to remember is that a signal consisting of a one dimensional, varying voltage, was used to capture and to simulate the sound of music or other noises.

Digital Audio is NOT a description of reality. Digital Audio is a description of the one dimensional, varying voltage that, until now, has been used to simulate sound and music.

So long as you keep trying to use "Digital Audio" to describe "reality" you are going to go insane. Only once you get the idea that "Digital Audio" is only useful to describe "recorded audio" will you get to be comfortable here.

All the Best!

JE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.