Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Food for thought

Thanks for the links by the way, very informative stuff...

I get what's being said, and think it sounds perfectly sane when applying it to a constant tone, but not with music. As far as I can tell, there is no physical way that 48,000 images of a thing can give you a picture as complete or accurate as 3,000,000 when that thing is changing at an infinitesimal level, constantly. Details will be missed.

This is true for video and still images in digital and analogue, even eyesight, so how not for A/D/A sound?

Anyway, I've put some questions up on his Wiki.

EDIT

Unless the Bit Depth is involved? 16Bits/MoreFrequencies = MoreFrequencies per Bit = Less detail than 16Bits/FewerFrequencies. But Bit Depth is Dynamic range...?

Also,

In response to other questions on the video's wiki page, he or someone at least, has written this;

"Does this mean that we should have better output if we increasing the sampling from 44.1KHz to 192KHz?"

"You'll have exactly the same 20 kHz sine wave at 192 kHz as 44.1 kHz... Only two sample points are needed to perfectly recreate a sine wave... --Leorex"

"It's counterintuitive, but try and think of it like this. You know the input signal (analog) is band-passed to 20kHz, so there are no frequencies higher than 20kHz to be reconstructed. Now look at the 2.2 samples per period; try and draw a continuous line through all the samples without using any frequencies above 20kHz. So in fact, there is only *1* solution for the line you draw through the sampling points. You can 100% recreate the original analog signal from the sampling points. You will not get better output by increasing the sampling rate to 192kHz, because you have already reconstructed 100% of the signal. -- Nhand42"

To my mind these answers only suffice for constant frequency/amplitude signals. When you add a constantly changing frequency/amplitude signal, the ability to "draw a continuous line through all the samples" will become much more difficult. We are not trying to recreate a Sine Wave. Try illustrating an orchestral piece with his lollipop diagram.

Edits: 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.