Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Food for thought

Hey Storris!

"Would it be fair to say that recording in DSD, or at the highest possible sample rate, would produce an orders of magnitude more accurate digital master than the alternative, and that (given the correct equipment) D/A conversion of such recordings will produce a much more accurate analogue output?"

Actually, I don't concur with that. Firstly, I know nothing about how DSD works, so I can't offer any opinion about that. I know next to nothing about how PCM works, but what little I do know makes me think that increasing the frequency of the sampling rate does not "move the samples closer together." Instead it adds higher frequency data to the signal. You already picked up the information between 20Hz to 20kHz when you recorded at 44kHz. Recording at 192kHz is only going to add in high frequency harmonics to the original 20Hz to 20kHz signal. Similarly, increasing the bit depth does not make the samples smoother, instead it lowers the noise floor.

I'm sure others will be happy to leap in and correct me if I'm wrong!

Further, what comes out of a DAC is analog. Any digital "gaps," (which are there because of the nature of digital but which don't matter because in a bandwidth limited system there is only one, unique analog waveform that correctly corresponds to the digital information) have been filtered out in the conversion to analog. It is an analog signal passing through your amplifier and from there to your speakers. The signal is not "broken" into discrete pieces.

Even if it was, your speakers are not quantum devices. They do not move from one state to another with no intervening states. Even if you could build a quantum speaker, they would have to push against ordinary air which would thereafter propagate an analog wave.

By the way, another link to that guy who is roundly despised here.

JE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.