Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: If your...

"Is it not true that most of what we consumers listen to came off master tapes? Is it also not true that these tapes have a dynamic range of about 70 or maybe 80dB at best? I would also assume that this is under ideal conditions that are rarely met."

Most consumers listen to MP3s or equivalent. These people and their tastes in music and listening are not relevant to audiophile forums.

If high resolution digital formats (24 bit PCM or DSD) are used the recoding medium and converters will have no problem achieving 120 dB dynamic range. The weakest link is going to be the microphone and microphone preamplifier which are limited by random motion of air molecules and Johnson noise. State of the Art microphones used to record classical music have a dynamic range of approximately 120 dB. The best recording labels use minimal post production, so one hears the first generation output of the microphones. (Example are the Channel Classics recordings, most of which are pure DSD with no post processing.)

"At 120dB down aren't we also well into the noise floor of most audio systems?

Not good ones.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.