Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Inmates are resistant to the idea of audio masking

since of course if humans can only hear about -50dB into a song or signal that is playing then all the claims of hearing unmeasurable differences between power cables and USB cables fly out the window.

This explains why the Audio Diffmaker is such a bogeyman here. Inmates are afraid to even try it as it might upset their view of audio on two points: one, their ears aren't as superhuman as inmates think they are and two, the dratted machine can detect audio information the inmate could not.

Here's a thought experiment. How loud can a healthy NFL quarterback shout? I'm guessing after a lifetime of calling signals as a class they've got pretty strong voices. However, there are NFL stadiums that routinely have crowd noise measured at 130db when the visiting team is on offense. In those situations it's next to impossible for the quarterback to make himself heard by his teammates so clubs go to the so called "silent count" where visual signals are used instead. Pro football clubs certainly have no problem believing in audio masking.

JE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Inmates are resistant to the idea of audio masking - Jaundiced Ear 16:23:52 09/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.