Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Audiostream Review; Bryston BDP-2/BDA-2

While I found the review interesting, I can't get beyond these comments under the heading of The House Sound:

"Overall I'd place the Bryston combo on the taut, analytical side. There's also a certain front-to-back flatness to the presentation, a little lack of air as compared to other combo's."

I've owned Bryston gear and the reviewer confirms the "analytical" and "lack of air" House Sound I have personally experienced with my Brystons. Coupling an "analytical" sounding DAC to any computer isn't going to change it's inherent shortcomings.

On the topic of "purpose built audio devices", I found the Sony HAP-S1 to sound excellent and I bet their flagship HAP-1ZES is even better. I'm sure there are others that sound fantastic. However, I've pretty much written off Bryston based on my experience with them two decades ago and again two years ago. I wonder if they still make controls for dishwashing machines? ;-)

A Short History of Bryston Ltd.:

Bryston began in Feb. 1962 as a custom electronics manufacturer, making products for a number of OEM accounts. The original founders, Anthony Bauer, Stan RYbb and John STONeborough, lent the first letters of their last names to make up the company name. Among the products the company made in the first years were electronic safety-flasher control units for the TTC, a blood testing apparatus called the Aggregometer for Dr. Fraser Mustard, controls for industrial-size dishwashing machines, and a number of other projects............"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.