Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: People here keep acting as if it is simple to hear a -120dB down signal.

"I doubt even the best listening rooms of Asylum board users is better than around 20-30dB above absolute zero ambient acoustic noise levels."

The confusion comes between broadband noise levels (according to some weighted curve) and narrow band noise levels. If there is no operating HVAC system running and noisy appliances are not in use, rural settings will have little or no noise in the frequency range where human hearing is most sensitive. In addition, it is possible to hear single tones that are as much as 20 dB below the broadband noise floor. Except for low frequency noise or when appliances or HVAC systems are running, what one can hear is going to depend on volume control settings, the recordings on plays and the sensitivity of one's ears, not room noise.

As to those volume control settings, and so as to be accused of not cheating, peak sound pressure levels at live orchestral concerts have been measured at over 120 dB (e.g. Mahler symphonies, row 5). A dynamic range of this amount is required for realistic reproduction of this music. Some of us have systems with this peak capability throughout most of the frequency range applicable (except possibly for organ pedal notes). And some of us turn up our volume controls to achieve these realistic levels.

Some sounds, for example jangling keys, have peak to average sound levels that are greater than 30 dB. Dropping one's keys on a stone floor can produce peak SPLs of 140 dB, but there will be no building collapse. I have played such a recording at volume control settings that I normally use for playing orchestral music and the jangling keys were not even at natural volume levels.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.