Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: USB cable length-Audioengr

"Audioengr was not discussing data rate. He was talking about how the signal was being reflected from the termination end and how this affects the signal."

I question if you have any technical understanding whatsoever about how digital signals travel down wires. You should really take more care in your posting if you actually know what you are talking about, lest you come across as a blustering idiot.

The impact of reflections depends on where the reflections fall in the digital waveform. When a reflection hits a point where the waveform is transitioning from a 0 to a 1 or conversely then it will affect the time the receiver detects the transition ("jitter"). This effect depends on the length of the cable from the point of reflection compared to the wavelength of the bits on the wire. With a much higher clock rate (USB 2.0) the wavelength will be much shorter.

Carcass93's intuitive understanding of the situation "shorter is better" makes perfect sense as far as the USB itself is concerned, but there may be other reasons dictating the use of longer cables, e.g. some equipment may best be kept physically separated from other equipment.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: USB cable length-Audioengr - Tony Lauck 20:25:37 09/11/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.