Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Just to confirm - in your experience, the changes (drivers, players etc.) on computer side....

... significantly affect sound quality.

At least that's how I read your review. Two thoughts on the subject:

1. Designer is, to put it mildly, not entirely correct, when saying the two approaches - improvements on the computer side and DAC side - are "alternative". Quite the contrary, it all works together - and the fact that their DAC is far from immune to changes on computer side only confirms that.

To say that "DAC makes a bigger difference in the overall sound of the system vs the computer and associated tweaking" is pure, unadulterated nonsense, disseminated by biased and inexperienced listeners. It goes against experience of true, dedicated computer audiophiles in general, and your own experience, expressed in the review, in particular. Unless, of course, it's "state-of-the-art DAC vs. crappy DAC", or better yet, "DAC vs. no DAC", as in music vs. silence.

Incidentally, those listeners (or better put, consumers) simply DO NOT have hands-on experience making meaningful improvements on computer side, which significantly affect sound quality.

2. Your experience with ASIO kind of hints at the trailing state of MAC-based computer palyback, and explains "computer doesn't make significant difference" sentiments, that are prevalent among Apple's faithful. That technology is ubiquitous under Windows, with users utilizing those solutions for years to excellent results - IF it's done right by software developers.

Edits: 09/04/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.