Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You omitted one important detail.-I have

I have been aware of the buffer size issues from the very beginning of my use of computer audio, all the way back to 2005 when I first started using a computer system to record and playback music. They were already in print in that period, and cics explained some of the issues in his long thread. (Actually, my understanding of buffer size issues goes to far earlier periods, see below in this post.)

My position was and has been that if buffer size issues exist it is because of a deficiency in the DAC, not a fundamental defect in the transport. Adjusting the buffer sizes may be a free system tweak, but if it works it is just proof that the DAC is not as good as it might be. Ditto for decoding FLAC in real time. Again, this is a case where if you hear a difference it's because the DAC is not up to snuff. I doubt very much that either of you have experience designing audio cards, drivers and DSP software and understanding how all of the components fit together, from both a practical and a theoretical perspective. Instead you appear to be a bunch of tinkerers. It has been a basic principle of mixed signal systems to separate the digital and analog portions back as long as I can recall, which goes back to a summer job in 1961 working on a hybrid computer consisting of a digital computer coupled to an analog computer. The principles are well known, but the consumer audio marketplace has done a crappy job of following them. In general the best mixed signal engineers have not gone into consumer electronics. They have gone into military electronics, telecommunications and the computer industries, as this is where the money is.

Fmak, you make a lot of cryptic comments, but I can't think of much that I have learned from you. There are others here whose engineering comments have proven valuable and non-technical reviewers who have made a many cogent observations as to what they have heard.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You omitted one important detail.-I have - Tony Lauck 19:16:03 08/31/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.