Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Still jumping to conclusions, Bob_C?

"I have actually have listened to a pair and the speakers are not bad, especially for the price. The wave guide does some good things."

Have you heard them in your own house? I enthusiastically recommend the LSR305s for use as PC speakers. I agree. I think that wave guide is the secret to their sound. Note however that it is crucial that you get stands that elevate the tweeters to ear level. I think the IsoAcoustics ISOL8TRS are attractive and do the job, but even a pile of bricks or books would do the job for beginning audiophiles who can't afford the extra $100 for stands.

"I was thinking more about using an internal sound card."

Actually, this is just for the PC system. Amazing as it may seem, I also own a turntable, an optical drive and an external DAC. And multiple pairs of speakers. And multiple amplification chains. Not to mention a pile of LPs and CDs and a NAS. I too am an audio enthusiast.

"Think about this... What if the noise PS, EMI/RFI etc of you PC swamps any possible difference in sound in your system? IE... everything sounds the same..."

I've linked below to the Stereophile measurement of my PC's sound card taken while inside of a PC. While not perfect (what is?) I'm fairly confident that any issues it may have, even in the torturous environment of a PC's interior, are well below the level of audibility. Notice how far down the noise and distortions are?

The whole point of my suggesting the "listener's challenge" was to demonstrate how hard it is to hear differences that are -50dB to -60dB down. I could not care less about differences that are more than -90dB down. I know you refuse to even listen to the "challenge." How about a thought experiment instead. Have you ever listened to a well set up vinyl system? Noticed how good the stereo imaging is? Now ask yourself this: how is that possible when the channel separation is on the order of -35dB down, at best? Anything below -40dB is essentially mono. If it is so easy to hear these low level signals, why don't vinyl systems all sound monophonic?

JE

Edits: 08/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Still jumping to conclusions, Bob_C? - Jaundiced Ear 23:43:05 08/30/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.