Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Understand.

You weren't looking in the right thread.

Not convinced the fault's mine - why should I have to search the archive for a point made "quite some time ago" merely to understand your post? Given that you're belittling an inmate, why not provide a link to the pertinent thread so we can judge your claim for ourselves?

I say that because it is clear from this and other threads that many inmates still do not understand the (very basic) difference between data errors and timing errors, i.e. why the performance of a computer driving printers, scanners, storage devices and the rest does not inform about how it fares when driving an audio device.

The confusion leads to claims such as the one that error-free data transfers over USB "prove" that USB cable quality is, within obvious limits, irrelevant to USB audio.

As it goes, for reasons not relevant here, I don't hear much difference between USB cables in my dedicated-to-audio PC setup but I do understand why competent engineers are adamant that simply ensuring that a cable complies with spec is by no means the whole story for audio. I do not ridicule those who do report differences.

(Of course, many USB cables and interfaces that seem nonetheless to work reasonably well in general computing are waaaay out of spec but that's a different topic.)

In short, absent demonstration that fmak was unequivocally suggesting that ferrite beads on a USB cable cause data errors rather than exacerbate timing errors, the "zero credibility" thing works both ways. I doubt fmak would make such a claim though, of course, some might misinterpet his point.

Especially someone who asks, apparently in all seriousness, "How would hard data errors and the lack of retries manifest themselves audibly in the audio playback chain?"

Edits: 08/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.